Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Michael Jackson Story

I have to say that for me, hands down, without a doubt, "Thriller" is the best music video ever made!!!

I grew up a Jehovah's Witness like MJ and his family, and at the beginning of that video he has a disclaimer that the video "in no way endorses the occult."

WOW! Of course I thought that was the coolest thing because while he didn't say he was a Witness - you knew it from that statement.

Of course I love all his songs from the time when he was with the Jackson 5 up through "HiStory." I stood online past midnight at HMV (on 72nd St and Broadway) for the CD and ended up getting my picture taken and published by the NY Post.

My cousin Harold decided to buy as many newspapers as he could and post my pic from the NY Post up all over the Richard Rodgers Theatre were we worked for my Dad. He even put it on the Stage Door and the sides of buses. THAT was embarrassing! Especially when the cast & crew of "How To Succeed" sort of snickered at me for it. (I'm pretty sure that's why Harold did it.)

The Michael Jackson story is so tragic. I got the news on my cell and in my email from a former co-worker at Sony in Culver City. Because the news was so immediate, I don't think anyone has fully processed it. While Michael Jackson's talent was undeniable, his eccentricity was equally as undeniable.

I have always felt that Michael Jackson was a victim who perpetuated the cycle. Still, 50 years old is too young to die. It's all so tragic no matter how you look at it!!!

However, we will always have his music which is an incredible contribution in spite of his personal demons!!

Farrah Fawcett's story is equally as tragic. She also suffered tragically for some time with her cancer. She was not very old either - only 62. My Grandmother will be 90 in December and still feeds my Dad because he is paralyzed and can't do it himself. He's only 64.

Life is so unpredictable and can end at any moment. Guess I should use this wake up call to remind me to get out and live life instead of wasting time on FB, Twitter and MySpace.


This is a great photo of Michael Jackson which I believe was later turned into the "statuesque" cover art for the "HiStory" album.

No comments:

Post a Comment