Thursday, June 25, 2009

Shades of Grey

My Dad always used the phrase "shades of grey" when I tried to simplify something or understand a concept by simply putting it into a "black & white" box.

My mother is a Jehovah's Witness and I grew up first, as a Catholic and then, when my mother converted, as a Jehovah's Witness myself. My stepmother and many of my closest friends are Jewish. As a result, I have clearly been exposed to a wide variety of religious philosophies, beliefs and points of view for which I am grateful

After many years in recovery from various addictive and destructive behaviors, I have "come to believe" in my own concept of a Higher Power which is very personal. I no longer feel the need to preach. However, I am aware that many people make assumptions based on one's actions, tastes and interests. I make assumptions as well.

For the record, I am doing my best to be tolerant and respectful of all people from the left to the right politically, geographically and spiritually. I honestly believe that the world would be a much nicer place to exist if mutual respect was shown. Every individual has a right to their own opinions, tastes and lifestyles without animus, conversion tactics from others and especially without violence. I am not naive enough to belief that a perfect world such as that exists.

Negativity, angry words and mutual DISrespect lead to violent actions as was evident on a small scale this past week with the Perez Hilton/Will.i.am incident and has been evident on a much grander scale for many years in the Middle East.

In short, with the exception of violence, I am doing my best to keep it simple and just - "LIVE & LET LIVE." If I say something offensive, please let me know and I will do my best to be more respectful and sensitive in the future. My hope is that I will be shown the same kind of respect and sensitivity in return.

I will get off my soapbox now it that is what it appears I was doing. I felt the need to set the record straight. I am not censoring anything that people write on my page and please do not ask me to remove something that you do not like or agree with that someone else posted. Kindly speak or write to them directly yourself.

Thanks;)

PS - THE ONLY PERSON WHO IS ALWAYS RIGHT IS NANCY GRACE - JUST ASK HER:)

No comments:

Post a Comment